Assistant Tasting Room Manager
Sunstone Vineyards, Winery and Villa is an organic vineyard retreat, located just 35 minutes north of Santa Barbara, in the beautiful Santa Ynez Valley. Our facilities provide a relaxing atmosphere where you can enjoy our wines in our beautiful French Provençal style courtyards, stone barrel-aging caves, or picnic grounds.
Reporting to the Director of Hospitality, the Assistant Tasting Room Manager will manage and lead the day-to-day operation of the tasting room. This position will encompass leadership, support, motivation and development of the team members, resulting in the creation of a positive environment that encourages ownership and accountability, while providing a quality guest and club member experience. This role will monitor and ensure exceptional service, food and wine quality and presentation, while meeting / exceeding departmental financial goals and ensuring operational compliance to company standards and adherence to all Santa Barbara County and State of California laws.
- Ensure that every guest has a pleasant experience at the winery through the team’s efforts;
- Handle all aspects of the tasting room staff scheduling, including day of deployment, replacement and labor budget;
- Oversee staff and manages daily operation of the tasting room to ensure proper hospitality and service is provided to all guests;
- Ensure all company policies, procedures and safety aspects are being followed;
- Train, educate, motivate and manage tasting room staff, in conjunction with Director of Hospitality;
- Coach and document employee performance issues, as needed;
- Act as the point of sale in close out procedures, cash handling and reporting;
- Act as safety champion in connection with tasting room operation; hold monthly safety meetings and following up appropriately on concerns;
- Assist in tasting room, private tastings, tours and off-site events, as needed;
- Manage wine and merchandise inventory; monitor the merchandising company products, including wine and non-wine items;
- Manage and create tasting list content and wine sensory notes;
- Carry out new policies and procedures, as determined by management and ensure all employees are updated with relevant information;
- Works closely with all departments to ensure a seamless guest experience;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in tasting room management and/or customer service oriented position;
- Strong leadership and customer service skills;
- Attention to detail; strong organizational, conflict resolution and proficient written and oral communication skills necessary;
- Passion for wine and highly visible interest in any wine industry-related information;
- Ability to work with and relate to a wide variety of people;
- Excellent sales skills and proven track record of sales-related experience;
- Proficiency in technology, including POS system, the Microsoft suite of products, VIN 65 and Google Suite, necessary;
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and to stand up for extended periods of time;
- Flexibility in working schedule, including evenings, weekends and periodic offsite requirements;
- Must be at least 21 years of age and hold a current, valid California Driver’s License.
- $20.00 - $22.00 per hour DOE for this full-time, non-exempt position;
- Employee benefit package to include health, dental and vision;
- Paid holidays and paid time off on an accrual basis.
Santa Ynez, CA