Public Relations Manager
Visit Santa Barbara is an organization providing a comprehensive visitor’s guide to Santa Barbara, CA.
Reporting to the Director of Public Relations, the Public Relations Manager will maximize media coverage and output to the organization’s target markets, in an effort to reach and authenticate the Santa Barbara brand to likely travelers.
Duties / Responsibilities:
Serve as the lead point of contact for district media categories;
Provide critical support to the Director and Public Relations Department, while managing press trips, providing timely and accurate information / assets to travel media in various locations;
Primary focus will be on directing likely visitors to Santa Barbara in connection with business meetings, conferences, trade shows, weddings and cruises;
Manage media visits in connection with familiarization media visitors with Santa Barbara, which includes managing media visit requests; vetting journalists / media outlets; creating itineraries; booking and confirming reservations; escorting trips for media visitors and documenting each trip accordingly;
Establishing and maintaining relationships with media; developing and maintaining accurate media records / lists; assisting in creating pitches and creative angles to showcase Santa Barbara;
Creating and distributing press releases; manage online press room; arrange interviews with Visit Santa Barbara spokes people; occasionally representing Santa Barbara at industry trade shows, events and media marketplaces; assist with media monitoring/press clippings and tracking/reporting of P.R. activities and results;
Serve as Visit Santa Barbara’s liaison for emergency public information communications and Santa Barbara County volunteer disaster activities; update the organization’s crisis communications manual on a quarterly basis.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in public relations or journalism;
- B.A. in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, or related discipline;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Proficient editing, research, organization and time management skills, together with the ability to be a strong team player with a positive attitude;
- Proficient computer, industry-related software and Microsoft Office suite of products capabilities;
- Ability to work independently with little supervision;
- Must have valid Passport, California driver’s license and auto insurance, in addition to the use of a vehicle;
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds and transport equipment and materials for use in Visit Santa Barbara’s programs;
- Ability to work varied hours, which may require evening and weekends when necessary;
- Possess knowledge of Santa Barbara and its attractions;
- Familiarity with CRM, CMS, AP Stylebook and Photoshop;
- Experience in the hospitality / tourism industry preferred.
8:00AM – 5:00PM Monday through Friday, although the hours can vary and be extended to evenings and weekends, as required.
$50K - $65K DOE, exempt; health insurance @ 100% coverage for employee; paid sick and vacation time; 401k with 3% annual employer match